We are so excited to announce the birth of our precious son, Keegan Edward Wardlaw. Keegan came into our lives on Monday, August 8th at 8:14 a.m. He weighed 7lbs. 8oz. and was 20 1/2 inches long. We are thankful to be blessed with a happy, healthy baby boy. He is just perfect in every way. He has a head of light brown/blonde hair and a very pretty complexion.
I would like to share Keegan's birth story so I have it to share with him some day! Bill and I arrived at Clark Memorial on Monday morning at 6 a.m. for our scheduled c-section. I was a ball of nerves not knowing what to expect with the surgery. Bill remained calm and was very comforting to me every step of the way. The c-section was scheduled for 7:30 a.m. When we got to the hospital we were already pre-registered so we were able to walk up to the labor and delivery floor and "check-in"! They took us right back to the triage room and began prepping me. I got to put on the lovely hospital gown, they started my IV's, took some blood and began monitoring the baby's heart rate and contractions. I was having contractions and they were four minutes apart. I could feel the tightening of my stomach but was feeling no pain. The contractions I had with Kaidyn were unbearable so to know that they were four minutes apart was surreal to me. Needless to say our little man was going to come 08/08/11 planned or not! After I was set to go the anesthesiologist came in and explained her role during the surgery. I was relieved to know that they would wait until my spinal was put in to put in my catheter and she would not tie my arms down. I was worried about both of these things. The nurses and doctors were great at prepping me and keeping me informed and calm. Before I knew it, it was time to leave Bill and be rolled down to Operating Room #1 just down the hall. Bill and my mom would get their "space suits" on aka scrubs and join me in the O.R. after my spinal was in. I was rolled into the room and it was a little bigger than I expected. The ladies helped move me onto the operating table, I held a pillow and the spinal was placed into my back. It began working right away. My toes got tingly, then my legs, and I was numb up to my chest. My catheter was in place and Dr. Stell (my OBGYN) came in and it was "go time"! They told the nurse to get Bill and my mom and they came in. From the time they entered it took about five minutes for our sweet Keegan to be born. He came out crying, which was a huge relief (Kaidyn did not) and was taken to the warming area where the nurses cared for him. I remember saying, "He looks just like Kaidyn!" Those were my first thoughts of him. I couldn't see much as they were caring for him, but Bill and my mom were snapping away pictures of him. Bill brought him over for me to see and he was absolutely perfect! It was then time for them to sew me back up and for Keegan to go down to the nursery for about an hour. Mom stayed in recovery waiting for me. I remember being out of it in recovery and just very thirsty. I was able to have ice chips...yum! Within an hour I was reunited with Keegan and we were able to do Kangaroo Care for about an hour and a half in recovery. Kangaroo Care is skin to skin contact on the mother's chest within their first hour of birth. Keegan nursed for the first time during that, as well. It is definitely one of the greatest days of my life and a day that I will never forget. We love you Keegan Edward Wardlaw and are so glad God chose us to be your parents!
No comments:
Post a Comment