Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tornado - 3/2/12

A tornado ripped through Southern Indiana on Friday.  With it came 175 mph winds, softball sized hail, and complete devastation.  The storm occurred just 10 or so miles away from our home in Henryville and continued through Marysville and onto Chelsea, IN.  We were fine, but many were not so fortunate.  Some lost a little, some lost everything.  You could not imagine the state of some of the areas hit.

I was at school teaching on Friday. The tornado sirens sounded (we knew the storm was on it's way). I took my students into the hallway and we assumed our tornado positions against the wall. Mimi was at our house with Kaidyn & Keegan. I received a text from my mom and she said her and my dad were on their way to our house to make sure the kids were ok. Thankful for such awesome family who love our babies! The storms came and after just a little delay I was on my way home with the sirens still blaring. I got home, everyone/everything was fine (including our house). It wasn't minutes later that dad received a call that the tornado had taken out much of Henryville (we had heard reports but none confirmed). Dad is a County Commissioner in Clark County (where the storms hit) and he had to hurry off to help. That night he helped get roads cleared so first responders could get to those in need. I'm thankful my mom stayed behind to help me with K & K. We stayed glued to the television and the tragedy that was unfolding before our eyes. It was unbelieveable. The school was ripped apart, cars and buses thrown into things, buildings and homes blown across fields, windows shattered, roofs ripped off. Complete devastation.

A few days passed and I went to Henryville to see the damage firsthand. The commissioners (who are working very hard to begin the rebuilding process) held a community meeting to get information out to the affected residents. I asked dad if I could come along with him. I had to see this mess for myself. Wow, I couldn't believe it. My heart aches for them.  Here are some pictures I took on my phone as we drove through Henryville and then to Marysville.


Steps to Mt. Moriah Church - the church was completely demolished

Part of the school - can you see the basketball goals and bleachers that are in tact?




There is a semi truck over in that mess.  I believe this may have been on the national news.  It is in Marysville.

What is left of a home in Marysville.


Kaidyn, Keegan and I went to the store and bought things for a few families that we knew that were in need.  Kaidyn wanted to get them a ceiling and a tv!  We got toothbrushes, toothpaste, deoderant, soap, etc.  The necessesities for now.  We also donated blankets and storage totes, another request of the victims.  The outpouring support of our community has been overwhelming.  Everyone is pouring their hearts out to these victims and they should.  They need all of the love, support, and prayers they can get.  Feeling very blessed to have a roof over my head, a computer to type this post on, a photo to look at.  I can't help but selfishly thank God for sparing us from this devastation. 

Bless your heart if you are still reading! ;)  I want to be able to remember all that has occurred these past few days.

No comments: