Saturday, November 27, 2010

Elf of a Shelf

I don't know if you have heard the story behind Elf on a Shelf  but it is pretty interesting.  Beth (Bill's mom) bought Kaidyn the book set which comes with an Elf and the book.  As you read the book you learn that the elf (which you name) is to sit in a designated place and watch the behavior of the kids.  He/she (ours is a he) reports to the North Pole each night and lets Santa know how the child has behaved that day.  Kaidyn was really into the book and decided to name our elf Tom (she has an elephant named Tom that we got at the Indy zoo, so that's where the name came from).  We put Tom on the mantel and reminded her of what his job was.  She doesn't like the idea of him reporting to Santa each night simply because she is scared of Santa.  So, we have moved Tom the Elf to the Christmas tree.  I think as Kaidyn outgrows her fear of Santa, this Elf on a Shelf thing could really help her behavior!  I'm thinking of getting one for my kiddos at school.  It really is a neat concept and I would recommend it if you have kids. 

Reading Elf on the Shelf

There's Tom the Elf in the left corner of the mantel!

2 comments:

Ashlea said...

several friends have told me they like this.

Cara said...

Yes... I think our kids need an elf on the shelf! lol! :)